Chai is not quite Tea. Atleast not the way the western part of the world perceives or uses it. indian chai recipe is a very typical Indian perpetration of tea. Chai is to South Asia as coffee is to the west. Anyone who has ever visited India will know this as “Cutting Chai”.
Indian Chai is available in the streets to corporate offices to high end cafes to Indian homes. And we as a race drink this sweet syrup twice or even thrice a day. Talk about addiction. Now there is no good reason why i should not pass on this addiction to you 🙂
Indian Chai Recipe
This recipe is for CTC tea leaves. If drinking in summers go easy on the spices. They can heat up the body !
- 250 ml water
- 100 ml milk
- 2 tsp CTC Tea powder.
- 2 cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 2 tsp sugar
- Step 1 Put the water on boil.
- Step 2 Crush the spices along with the ginger into a paste.
- Step 3 As the water starts boiling add the sugar.
- Step 4 Add the spices.
- Step 5 Once the water is boiling add the Tea powder.
- Step 6 Once the mixture turns dark red add the milk.
- Step 7 Bring it to a boil and remove from flame as it starts boiling over.
- Step 8 Mix the ingredients with a clean spoon and bring to boil again.
- Step 9 As soon as it starts expanding to boil over turn off the flame and cover the pot for 2 mins. This adds to the flavor.
- Step 10 Serve piping hot with cookies, cake, samosa, french fries or biscotti.
Spices : If its winter the spices are great. If its summer its best to skip them along with ginger.
Tea Powder : The recipe is for CTC tea or tea powder. The kind you find in tea bags. This recipe is not suitable for Tea Leaves.
Black Tea : You can also make a version with no milk. In which case you should not boil the tea. Just boil the rest and add tea in the end for 30 secs and switch of the flame.
Indian Chai recipe with pictures
Put the water on boil.
Crush the spices along with the ginger into a paste.
Add the spices.
As the water starts boiling add the sugar.
Once the water is boiling add the Tea powder.
Once the mixture turns dark red add the milk.
Bring it to a boil and remove from flame as it starts boiling over.
Mix the ingredients with a clean spoon and bring to boil again.
As soon as it starts expanding to boil over turn off the flame and cover the pot for 2 mins. This adds to the flavor.
This is something we Indians wake upto instead of coffee. This is also an evening ritual among Indians to have this with a snack such as Cake or Samosa. We also use this to wash down a heavy meal in winters.
I hope you enjoy making this as much as i enjoyed sharing this with you. If you have any questions on Indian Cutting Chai please reach out via comments. I will try my best to share.
if you like our content please do share and subscribe.