Spring onions are prematurely born onions. What is different is that in this form this plant is extremely nutritious . Multiple civilizations across the world, from the ancient Egyptians to Romans to the Japanese in the far east have extolled the virtues of Spring onions. A spring onion recipe in which we glaze it with besan/gram flour turns out to be a great combination of taste and health.
Spring onions can serve a dual purpose. They can be used for flavoring and creating gravy . Spring onions are extremely rich in dietary fiber.
Spring onions are loaded with Vitamins A, B and C. They also contain calcium, iron and a whole lot of other things that are too difficult to spell. In short, it’s a super food. As per Ayurveda its good for the blood and helps with heart conditions and cholesterol levels. It’s valued for its anti-fungal properties. It has very low levels of salt, sugar and fat. Perfect!
Spring Onion Fried Recipe
- 8 stalks of Spring onions.
- 1 green chilli chopped
- ½ cup Besan or chickpea flour/Corn flour
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Salt to taste.
- 1/8th tsp Hing or Asafoetida.
- ½ tsp Haldi or turmeric powder.
- ½ tsp Lal Mirchi or Red Chilli powder. Adjust as per taste.
- 2 tbsp cooking oil / ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tsp oil/ghee (Optional for non-vegans)
- Step 1 Finely Chop the spring onions.Chop the onion bulbs and the green stem separately.
- Step 2 Heat a frying pan with 2 tbsp of cooking oil.
- Step 3 Add the mustard and wait for it start cracking.
- Step 4 Add the green chilli fry for 5 secs
- Step 5 Add the Asafoetida/Hing.Give it 5 secs.
- Step 6 Add the white onion bulbs and sauté them till they are glazed.
- Step 7 Add the green portion of the spring onions.Mix well.
- Step 8 Add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder and chickpea powder.Mix well.
- Step 9 Add the salt as per taste.
- Step 10 Let it cook for 8-10 mins.
- Step 11 If you are into your taste buds, at this point you can add another tsp of oil or ghee to add to the taste.
- Step 12 Mix well. Cook for another 1 minute and switch off the flame.
- Step 13 Serve in a nice bowl. Use some spring onion greens to garnish.
While choosing spring onions in the shop, make sure they are bright, green and upright. If the greens are droopy or the onion surface starts becoming slimy. Don’t buy them.
If you like your spring onion a little crunchy you can use a combination of rice and chickpea flour. You can keep rice flour to 1/4th of the combination.
If you don’t have chickpea flour at home, you can use cornflour. This alters the taste slightly from the traditional recipe. But it still tastes good . Give it any name you fancy 😊
Towards the end you can use a few tbsps. of water to adjust the consistency if you want. Adjust it depending on how crunchy you like your spring onion and chickpea flour to be.
Spring onion recipe with pictures
Finely Chop the spring onions. Chop the onion bulbs and the green stem separately.
Heat a frying pan with 2 tbsp of cooking oil.
Add the mustard and wait for it start cracking.
Add the green chilli fry for 5 secs.
Add the Asafoetida/Hing. Give it 5 secs.
Add the white onion bulbs and sauté them till they are glazed.
Add the green portion of the spring onions. Mix well.
Add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder and chickpea powder. Mix well.
Add the salt as per taste.
Let it cook for 8-10 mins.
If you are into your taste buds, at this point you can add another tsp of oil or ghee to add to the taste.
Mix well. Cook for a 1 minute and switch off the flame.
Serve in a nice bowl. Use some spring onion greens to garnish.
Your healthy meal of the day is ready to deliver much needed nutrition into your system. The chickpea coating trick can be used on a number of veggies to make them interesting for kids.
If you wish to know anything about my recipes or Indian dishes do reach out via the comments section. I will try my best to share.